One of the healthiest foods around, lentils are low in fat and very versatile – perfect for salads, soups and sides.
This soup is super yummy and healthy too. Packed with veggies, this hearty lentil soups wins for taste and budget.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 750ml chicken stock, bought or homemade
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, trimmed, finely chopped
- 50g pancetta, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g sweet potato, peeled, cut into 1cm pieces
- 400g lentils, can or dried
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 250g broccoli, cut into small florets
- Chopped fresh continental parsley, to serve
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion, celery, pancetta and garlic, stirring for 6 minutes or until soft. Add the sweet potato. Cook for 1 minute, stirring, for 1 minute or until combined.
Add the stock mixture, lentils and tomato. Increase heat to medium-high and bring it to the boil. Reduce heat to medium low.
Simmer, partially covered, for 15-20 minutes or until sweet potato is tender. Add broccoli. Simmer for 3-4 minutes or until broccoli is tender crisp.
Divide the soup among serving bowls and top with parsley.